Sunday, January 25, 2009

Yak-Trax, Hell 'bent and Lesbian Pulp-Fiction

At 5:50 a.m. it was still pretty dark outside and my thermometer said 9F. Hot coffee and the internet were the first orders of the day.

Even though it's too damn cold and icy for ME to ride, the group of us, or at least a small sub-set, are still 'Hell 'bent for Breakfast'. I had decided that I would walk the 2.6 miles to Webb's Cafe and Diner and so I had to warm myself and get psyched for the trek.

After glancing to see who was alive and on Facebook at that hour, I drifted over to my NewsGator and noticed a new post on a blog I follow, dykestowatchoutfor.com titled "Do you know what bonk-buster means? I didn't" Well, I didn't either, so I definitely had to go read THAT one.

That discussion of course led me to urbandictionary.com and to the OED and ultimately to a fascinating article in Slate by June Thomas that talks about why Secret Service Agents are such a popular character in Lesbian Pulp Fiction.

Who even knew there was such a genre?!!! Or that bonkbuster refers to novels with lots of sex?!!!

So I had lots to ponder on my walk home from breakfast with the guys. And as I pondered, I crested Monroe Ave at Cobbs Hill on icy sidewalks and a jogger approached. She struggled to maintain her grip on the hard slick pebbled surface in running shoes that looked very out of place for the conditions. I climbed a snowy bank to give her room to more safely pass and as she did, I lifted one foot and pointed to my sole and said, simply, "Yak-Trax". Her nod of ascent told me she appreciated the advice.

No comments: